James R. Copland is the director of the Manhattan Institute's Center for Legal Policy, which seeks to develop and communicate thoughtful ideas on how to improve the civil and criminal justice system. Copland oversees two of the Institute's websites, PointofLaw.com, a web magazine that brings together information and opinion on the U.S. litigation system, as well as the Institute's new corporate-governance website, ProxyMonitor.org. He is also project manager for the Institute's Trial Lawyers, Inc. series of publications examining the size, scope, and inner workings of America's lawsuit industry.
Copland has published opinion columns in national, local, and online newspapers, including The Wall Street Journal, The National Law Journal, Investors Business Daily, and USA Today. He has appeared on various television and radio shows, including those on PBS, FOX News, FOX Business, MSNBC, CNBC, C-SPAN, and NPR. He has testified before Congress and is a regular speaker and conference participant discussing tort reform issues.
Prior to joining the Manhattan Institute, Copland was a management consultant with McKinsey and Company in New York. He had earlier served as a law clerk for Ralph K. Winter on the United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit. He has been a director of two privately held manufacturing companies since 1997.
Copland received J.D. and M.B.A degrees from Yale, where he was an Olin Fellow in Law and Economics and an editor of the Yale Journal on Regulation. He also has an M.Sc. in politics of the world economy from the London School of Economics and a B.A. in economics with highest distinction and highest honors from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was a Morehead Scholar.
- PBS's "Newshour"
- Board Member's "This Week in the Boardroom"
- WABC's "John Batchelor Show"
- Westwood One's "Lars Larson Show"
- Money Radio's "Business for Breakfast"
- KPCC's "Airtalk"
- SBN's "Small Business Advocate"
- WBAL's "Ron Smith Show"
- WTPL's "Bulldog Live with Brian Tilton"
- 97.1 FM Talk's "Randy Tobler Show"
- Why Does FDA Keep Drugmakers From Informing Doctors?, Investor's Business Daily,
- 'Magnet Courts' Attract Class Action Corruption, Washington Times, 11-23-12
- Minnesota Attorney General's Assault on American Health, Washington Examiner, 11-22-12
- Philadelphia Still in Need of Tort Reform, The Philadelphia Inquirer, 11-18-12
- Politicized Proxy Advisers vs. Individual Investors, New York Post, 10-07-12
- Politicized Proxy Advisers vs. Individual Investors, Wall Street Journal, 10-07-12
- Unions Target Corporations Through Shareholder Activism, Washington Examiner, 07-19-12
- 2012 Proxy Season: Results and Lessons for Directors, Boardmember.com, 07-16-12
- Don't Believe the Hype About Corporate Political Spending, Washington Examiner, 06-22-12
- NY Prosecutors Have Too Much Power, New York Post, 06-19-12
- Justice Department May Be in the Next Cubicle, Bloomberg, 05-22-12
- More Articles >>
- Proxy Monitor 2012: A Report on Corporate Governance and Shareholder Activism, September 2012
- The Shadow Regulatory State: The Rise of Deferred Prosecution Agreements, May 2012
- Shareholder Activism: What to Watch for in the 2012 Proxy Season, March 2012
- Proxy Monitor 2011: A Report on Corporate Governance and Shareholder Activism, September 2011
- Proxy Monitor Report Winter 2011: New Database Reveals Shareholder Proposal Trends, January 2011
- Regulation by Prosecution: The Problems with Treating Corporations as Criminals,December 2010
- In the Wake of Wyeth v. Levine: Making the Case for FDA Preemption and AdministrativeCompensation March 2009
- Malpractice Liability: Thoughtful Tort Reform is Good Medicine
What States Can Do to Reform Health Care: A Free Market Primer (Edited by John R. Graham), 2006
- Tragic Solutions: The 9/11 Victim Compensation Fund, Historical Antecedents, and Lessons for Tort Reform (January 13, 2005)
Trial Lawyers Inc. Industry Focus
Trial Lawyers Inc. State Focus
City Journal articles
- Nicholas Q. Rosenkranz, discusses the topic of his forthcoming book, the subjects and objects of the Constitution and their role in constitutional interpretation, with Jim Copland., 01-03-13
- James Copland and Adam Freedman, author of "The Naked Constitution", discuss the Supreme Court's ruling on the 5th amendment takings case, Arkansas Game and Fish v. United States., 12-11-12
- James Copland and Adam Freedman, author of "The Naked Constitution," discuss oral arguments from the recent Supreme Court hearing of Fisher v. University of Texas., 10-16-12
- James Copland and Adam Freedman, author of The Naked Constitution: What the Founders Said, and Why it Still Matters, discuss the legacy of judicial activism and the "Living Constitution" theory., 10-16-12
- James Copland and Collin Levy, senior editorial page writer at the Wall Street Journal, discuss findings from "Proxy Monitor 2012: A Report on Corporate Governance and Shareholder Activism.", 10-08-12
- Isaac Gorodetski, project manager of the Manhattan Instituteï¿½s Center for Legal Policy interviews the Centerï¿½s director, James Copland, about his latest Proxy Monitor report and shareholder activi, 07-12-12
- Nadine Strossen, Professor of Law at New York Law School, discusses nuances of the Obamacare decision with Jim Copland., 06-28-12
- Michael Rosman of the Center for Individual Rights discusses the outcome of the Obamacare decision., 06-28-12
- Adam Freedman, author of "The Naked Constitution," discusses the outcome of the Supreme Court decision in Arizona v. United States with James Copland., 06-26-12
- Ilya Shapiro, Senior Fellow in Constitutional Studies at the CATO Institute, discusses the Arizona v. United States decision with Jim Copland., 06-25-12
- James Copland interviews Robert Shapiro on his new paper, “Corporate Political Spending: Why the New Critics Are Wrong.“, 06-18-12
- James Copland and Ted Frank discuss the John Edwards trial and how the potential regulatory overreach involved., 05-24-12
- Ilya Shapiro, senior fellow, Cato Institute discusses with James Copland the U.S. government's challenge of Arizona's immigration laws., 04-25-12
- James Copland and Nadine Strossen, professor of law at New York Law School, discuss oral arguments on Obamacare's individual mandate at the Supreme Court., 04-03-12
- James Copland and Michael Rosman break down the Commerce Clause and Necessary and Proper arguments invoked in the oral arguments challenging Obamacare's individual mandate before the Supreme Court., 04-03-12
- Kenneth Feinberg, administrator of the 9/11 and BP Deepwater Victim Compensation Funds, and James Copland discuss mass injuries and alternative dispute resolution in America., 01-26-12
- James Copland and Timothy O'Toole, discuss overcriminalization at federal and state levels., 12-16-11
- James Copland speaks with Harvey Pitt about shareholder proposal trends over the last four years and how the SEC has changed since Dodd-Frank., 09-16-11
- Howard Husock interviews James Copland about how labor unions are targeting their shareholder proposal efforts over non-traditional industries like retail and financial services industries, 03-21-11
- Howard Husock interviews James Copland about how labor unions and individual activists are making serious efforts to alter the corporate governance structure of corporations., 03-08-11
- Howard Husock interviews James Copland about how shareholders are making major efforts for corporations to disclose their political campaign contributions., 03-01-11
- Howard Husock interviews James Copland about executive compensation and union sway over the proxy ballot process., 02-23-11
- Howard Husock interview James Copland on his new report, "Regulation by Prosecution: The Problems with Treating Corporations as Criminals", 12-21-10
- Howard Husock, VP of policy research at MI, interview Jim Copland on potential BP litigation and good vs. bad environmental torts., 08-10-10
- Howard Husock Interviews Jim Copland on Trial Lawyers Inc.: K Street, 02-11-10
- Marie Gryphon and Jim Copland Discuss Her New Report On Overcriminalization, 12-09-09
- Paul Howard interviews Jim Copland about Trial Lawyers Inc: Healthcare, 10-13-09
- Jim Copland interviews Judge Alex Kozinski and attorney Misha Tseytlin about their essay on overcriminalization, 06-12-09
- Jim Copland interviewed Ken Langone on his thoughts about the overcriminalization of corporate conduct from the legal and business perspectives, 06-08-09
- Jim Copland interviewed Dick Thornburgh on his thoughts about the overcriminalization of corporate conduct from the legal and business perspectives, 06-08-09
- Jim Copland interviews Ilya Somin on Sonia Sotomayor's judicial record regard, 06-01-09
- Jim Copland interviews Richard Epstein about the problems with the Employee Free Choice Act, 03-20-09
- Marie Gryphon discusses her report, "Greater Justice, Lower Cost: How a 'Loser Pays' Rule Would Improve the American Legal System" with Jim Copland, 12-02-08
- Jim Copland reads his article 'West Virginia Too Heavenly For Trial Lawyers', 11-01-08
- Jim Copland reads "Leave it to the FDA", 09-04-08
- Jim Copland reads "Asbestos Litigation far from over", 09-04-08
- Jim Copland reads "Smoke Test for Supremes", 09-04-08
- Jim Copland interviews Richard Epstein on his most recent book Supreme Neglect: How to Revive Constitutional Protection for Private Property, 09-04-08
- Jim Copland and Lester Brickman discuss the evolution of asbestos litigation, 05-09-08
- Professor Epstein's third lecture "The New Antitrust: Reexamining Microsoft and Other Consent Decrees", 12-07-07
- Richard Epstein discusses his lecture entitled "Neither Liberal Nor Conservative: A Maverick's View of the Supreme Court" with James Copland, 11-08-07
- Richard Epstein and James Copland discuss the event "Aiding and Abetting Securities Liability: Reflections on Stoneridge Investment v. Scientific-Atlanta", 10-10-07
- James Copland reads his article 'A Judge Cries 'Sue'!'', 06-13-07